The Wildlife Information CentreAcronym: TWIC
TWIC is the biological records centre for the Lothians, Scottish Borders, Falkirk, Clackmannanshire, Stirling and Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park that collects, collates and disseminates information about the wildlife in our area.
The Centre is a not-for-profit company with charitable status and provides objective, independent wildlife information for people and organisations.
TWIC is the focal point for biological recording and is working to increase our knowledge of the land, freshwater and marine wildlife throughout our area. The Centre seeks to hold as comprehensive a record of the wildlife of the area as possible. We have an assumption of open access to these data, unless there is evidence of potential for damage to wildlife resulting from their release.
The Centre provides a wide range of data services; we routinely supply data to local authorities for screening planning applications, to consultants for preparing environmental assessments and to conservation bodies for writing management plans.
The ongoing development of TWIC and its services is funded by grant aid from Scottish Natural Heritage, service level agreements with City of Edinburgh Council, East Lothian Council, Midlothian Council, Scottish Borders Council, Live Borders Trust, Stirling Council and West Lothian Council and income from contract work, projects, contributions from Scottish Wildlife Trust and voluntary contributions.
- Biological Recording in Scotland - Bumblebee Survey
Public survey to generate records of Bumblebees in Scotland.
- Biological Recording in Scotland - New Zealand Flatworm Survey
New Zealand Flatworm reports from members of the public, including private gardens, nurseries, country parks etc. Supplied by BRISC as paper copies and digitised by TWIC. Records verified using NBN Record Cleaner and also sent to The James Hutton Institute.
- Biological Recording in Scotland - Scotsman Wildlife Surveys
Coordinated by BRISC. Data collated from members of the public via the Scotsman newspaper. This is a general species dataset with data in the Scottish Borders.
- Borders Backyard Biodiversity
The dataset comprises faunal records from a a^??local patcha^?? survey run by the Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre titled Borders Backyard Biodiversity. A list of 61 species of birds, mammals, amphibians and butterflies likely to be seen in the surveyora^??s garden or local patch was provided, with the option of recording additional species.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Bavelaw Marsh Bird Hide Records
Records captured at the bird hide at Bavelaw Marsh. These records have been collated by the City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Blackford Hill Fern Hunt
Two members of staff from RBGE and one from CECNHS, looking for Forked Spleenwort and other ferns on Blackford Hill.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Bonaly Bird Survey
Transect from NT2167 to NT2166 and NT2066 to NT2067
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Bonaly Moorland Moth Survey
Moth records captured in the Bonaly area of Edinburgh by the CEC Natural Heritage Service.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Bumblebee Walk
Bumblebee records captured on Torduff Hill, Edinburgh by the CEC Natural Heritage Service.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Burdiehouse Burn Valley Park Wildflower Meadow Survey
Records of the wildflower meadow at BBVP LNR. First surveyed in 2011 after several years of establishment.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Common Blue & Six Spot Burnet Moth Survey
Survey of Common Blue & Six Spot Burnet Moths around council land in Edinburgh.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Easter Craiglockhart Pond and Marsh Survey.
A baseline survey of the vegetation in the marsh area of Easter Craiglockhart done in August 2011.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Fungi Surveys
Survey of fungi present in council owned sites across Edinburgh.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - General Public Records.
Public sightings of various wildlife given to the Natural Heritage Service informally through phone, email or note.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Green Hairstreak Survey
Survey of Green Hairstreak butterflies throughout Edinburgh.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Harperrig Otter Survey
All widlife sightings are recorded on this survey, not otters. This was the primary purpose of the survey however.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Hermitage Wildflower Meadow
Lists of species identified in the meadow at Hermitage of Braid LNR.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Hillend Wildflower Meadow Survey
Survey of Hillend Wildflower Meadow.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Historical Records
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Large Red Damselfly Survey
Survey of Large Red Damselflies in the Pentland Hills Regional Park
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Natural Heritage Service Data
The Natural Heritage Service look after 12 sites across Edinburgh. They also manage Pentland Hills Regional Park on behalf of City of Edinburgh Council, West Lothian Council and Midlothian Council. The data in this survey is data for these sites.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Ranger Ad-hoc records and sightings
These are ad-hoc sightings by the old Pentland Hills Ranger Service.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Ranger Patrol Records
These are ad-hoc sightings by the old City of Edinburgh Ranger Service.
- City of Edinburgh Natural Heritage Service - Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary Survey
Survey of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary Records in the Pentland Hills Regional Park.
- David Dodds Associates Ltd - Species Records
Records collected by David Dodds Associates Ltd and passed on to TWIC for upload to the NBN Gateway. This is data from an ecological consultancy.
- Lothian Wildlife Information Centre Secret Garden Survey
A series of studies carried out as part of the Lothian Secret Garden Survey to help build up a picture of the full biodiversity present in local gardens. In order to encourage the public to record the wildlife in their gardens the Lothian Wildlife Information Centre ran the Lothian Secret Garden Survey between June 1995 and December 1996. As a result, data about easy species (i.e...
- Lothian and Borders Mammal Group recording
Data collected as part of organised surveys and events and verified by local experts. The data has also been sent to the Mammal Society.
- TWIC Biodiversity Field Trip Data (1995-2014)
The Wildlife Information Centre (TWIC) conducts various excursions to sites across the Lothians and Borders in order to collect Biodiversity data. We are helped out by many volunteers and expert recorders in this endeavour...
- TWIC Hedgehog Public Survey
A public survey conducted by TWIC in order to determine hedgehog abundance throughout the Lothians and the Scottish Borders. This survey started in 2011 and is still in progress
- TWIC Record a Raptor Survey
A public survey conducted by TWIC in order to determine Kestrel, Buzzard and Red KIte abundance throughout the Lothians and the Scottish Borders. This survey started in 2014 and is still in progress. Red Kite data is not currently available as it is awaiting verification before upload to the NBN Gateway.
- The Wildlife Information Centre - BioBlitz Events
Events organised / co-organised by TWIC that involve experts and members of the public working together to identify and record as many species as possible at a site in a 24hr period, or shorter in a mini-BioBlitz event.
- The Wildlife Information Centre - Identification Workshops
Records collected as part of identifiaction workshops organised by TWIC. The records are collated by the leader of the workshop, who is usually a recognised expert.
- The Wildlife Information Centre - LBS Network Strategic Survey
Species records made by surveyors while working on the LBS Network Strategic Habitat survey CSGN Winter Phase 1 survey project. These species records were made incidentally to habitat survey, site boundary checking and target notes.
Metadata last updated on 2017-03-21 13:00:31.0