Scottish Natural HeritageAcronym: SNH
Scotland's natural heritage is its wildlife, habitats, landscapes and natural beauty. Scotland is renowned for its attractive scenery and wild places and has a huge diversity of landscapes, habitats and wildlife. These are part of what makes Scotland special and are among the country's greatest assets.
Scottish Natural Heritage is funded by the Scottish Government. Our purpose is to:
• promote, care for, and improve our natural heritage
• help people enjoy nature responsibly
• enable greater understanding and awareness of nature
• promote the sustainable use of Scotland's natural heritage
All of our work supports our mission: All of nature for all of Scotland.
For general enquiries, we have a web enquiry form www.snh.gov.uk/contact-us/online-enquiries-service
- Compilation of records of 12 Article 17 terrestrial mammal species in Scotland
This compilation of records from multiple sources is being provided as an interim measure to help meet the requirements of Article 17 Surveillance reporting. For the majority of records, precision is limited to 10 km square and year.
- Expansion zone survey of pine marten (Martes martes) distribution in Scotland, 2012-2013
The dataset comprises records of pine marten, other mustelids, and fox, derived from DNA analysis of scats (faeces), supplemented by recent records of pine marten received from other sources. The findings confirm that pine marten continues to recolonise its former range, including at four widely-spaced locations in southern Scotland, and now occurs close to some of Scotland's major urban...
- Information on capercaillie distribution collected during the 'Productivity of breeding Capercaillie Tetrao urogallus at sites across their Scottish r
Records of capercaillie collected during the project. Sex and brood size is also recorded.
- Lochaber wild boar/feral pig camera trap survey, 2015
A pilot survey of wild boar/feral pig was undertaken to find out how feral pigs are using four different habitat types (Native woodland, Plantation woodland, Young woodland, Open habitats) within the Glen Garry study area, where the species is known to be well-established in the wild. The dataset includes records of wild boar/feral pig and other wild mammals recorded by camera-traps.
- New Zealand Flatworm (Arthurdendyus triangulatus) records for Scotland 2008-2014
The dataset comprises 'citizen science' records, reporting sightings by the public of New Zealand Flatworms in Scotland.
- Rare plants database extract from Scottish Natural Heritage
This is a subset of the data held in the SNH plant spreadsheet. All records for the West Highland area were extracted as part of the NBN trial in SNH. Original spreadsheet supplied by John McKinnell end of October 2000. This extract was regarded as a temporary step and so the extraction has not been completely validated and this should be borne in mind when using the data...
- Records of otters from Site Condition Monitoring in Scotland 2011-2012
The dataset comprises records of otter collected during 2011 and 2012 by Findlay Ecology Services Ltd under contract to SNH for Site Conditron Monitoring of 44 Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) in Scotland for which otter is a qualifying feature. The dataset includes absence records.
- Records of otters from surveys in relation to FCS casework in Angus, 2007
The dataset comprises records of otter collected by SNH in relation to Forestry Commission Scotland casework in five areas in Angus during 2007.
- Records of pine martens from SNH casework reports and licence applications, 2005 - 2016
The dataset comprises records of pine marten and other species reported to SNH in relation to casework enquiries and licence applications to exclude the animals. Most records are of animals in buildings.
- Recovery of the medicinal leech Hirudo medicinalis in Scotland - Phase II
Records of medicinal leech Hirudo medicinalis, horse leech Haemopis sanguisuga and amphibians from the three primary sites identified in 1995 as having populations of H. medicinalis, sites within 1 km of these sites and five sites with previous records of H. medicinalis. </br> This dataset contains zero abundance records...
- Reports of New Zealand Flatworms in Scotland, 1989 - 2005
The dataset comprises 'citizen science' records, reporting sightings by the public of New Zealand Flatworms, Arthurdendyus triangulatus (Artioposthia triangulata) in Scotland.
- SNH Bat Casework records 1970-2007
The dataset comprises bat roost location information held within the bat module of SNH's Casework Recording System 1970 - 2007.
- SNH Great crested newt records
Most records of Great crested newt held by SNH. </br> This complete dataset is being provided as an interim measure to help meet the requirements of Article 17 Surveillance reporting. The data will be resubmitted at a later date for publication on the Gateway as multiple surveys with individual metadata.
- Site Condition Monitoring Records from surveys of lamprey species in five river SACs in Scotland
This compilation of surveys is being provided as an interim measure to help meet the requirements of Article 17 Surveillance reporting. The data will be resubmitted at a later date for publication on the Gateway as multiple surveys with individual metadata. </br> The dataset includes absence records
- Site Condition Monitoring of Annex II Vertigo species in Scotland
Records from a survey of Vertigo angustior, V. geyeri and V. genesii on designated sites in Scotland where these species are notified features.
- Site Condition Monitoring of Marsh Fritillary on designated sites in west Scotland 2014-15
The marsh fritillary butterfly Euphydryas aurinia is a Habitats Directive Annex II species that is widespread in Scotland in coastal Argyll and the Inner Hebrides, where Islay is the principal population. In Scotland it occurs among damp grasslands and heaths that are usually associated with some form of grazing. A survey was undertaken in autumns 2014 and 2015 of designated sites supporting...
- Site condition monitoring of lamprey in the Endrick Water SSSI and SAC, 2012
Brook lamprey (Lampetra planeri) and river lamprey (L. fluviatilis) are primary qualifying features of the Endrick Water Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and are notified features of the Endrick Water Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The data documents a lamprey survey conducted in 2012 as part of the Site Condition Monitoring programme for the designated site.
- Species data for Scottish waters held and managed by Scottish Natural Heritage, derived from benthic surveys 1993 to 2014
The dataset comprises: species records from benthic surveys commissioned by SNH or partners where the outputs are under the custodianship of SNH. Additionally species records determined from SNH analysis of third party commissioned benthic survey video footage are included...
- Standing Waters Database - Scotland
This dataset comprises the macrophyte records from the JNCC standing waters database. It includes 79,246 records from 3,547 locations from across England, Wales and Scotland and date from 1970 to 2000. The parent database held by SNH also holds information on invertabrates as well as the physical and chemical attributes of the individual standing waters and their respective catchments...
- Stoats in Orkney Facebook page records & sightings, 2014 - 2015
Stoats are native to mainland Britain, but were first recorded in Orkney in 2010 following an assumed accidental introduction. Since the launch of the the 'Stoats in Orkney' Facebook page in September 2014, the majority of sightings have been reported via Facebook. Previously, records were reported directly to SNH, (these sightings are presented as a separate dataset).
- Stoats in Orkney: records & sightings reported to SNH, 2010 - 2015
Stoats are native to mainland Britain, but were first recorded in Orkney in 2010 following an assumed accidental introduction. Initially records were reported directly to SNH, however, since the launch of the 'Stoats in Orkney' Facebook page in September 2014, more sightings have been reported via Facebook (these sightings are presented as a separate dataset).
- Survey of White-clawed crayfish <i>Austropotamobius pallipes</i> in Scotland
Records from a survey of White-clawed crayfish <i>Austropotamobius pallipes</i> in the two waterbodies where it was known to occur in Scotland in 2009.
- Survey of distribution of beavers in Tayside in 2012
In response to evidence of increasing beaver (Castor fiber) activity in the Tay catchment, Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) commissioned a survey to examine the status of beaver populations in the River Tay system. During the rapid survey, a total of 1,522 field signs and six beaver sightings were recorded...
- Survey of slender naiad, Najas flexilis, in Loch of Butterstone and Loch of Craiglush
Records from a survey of Najas flexilis (Slender naiad) and associated waterplants from two linked lochs.
- Surveys of beavers in the Rivers Balvag, Leny and Teith in 2012
In response to reports of beaver (Castor fiber) activity in the Trossachs, Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) commissioned surveys of the distribution of beavers in the Rivers Balvag, Leny and Teith and tributaries...
- The ecology of Najas flexilis (Slender naiad)
Records from a survey and autoecological study of Najas flexilis (Slender naiad) and associated waterplants from Scotland (Mainland Scotland records only). </br> This dataset contains zero abundance records for N. flexilis. These were collected as part of a structured survey using the methodology described below
- The occurrence and distribution of Najas flexilis (Slender naiad) in Loch of Craiglush, Loch of the Lowes and Loch of Butterstone
Records from a survey of Najas flexilis (Slender naiad) and associated waterplants from three linked lochs. </br> This dataset contains zero abundance records for N. flexilis. These were collected as part of a structured survey using the methodology described below
- Water vole survey of Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve - October 2011
SNH commissioned Waterside Ecology to undertake a survey within Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve (NNR) to identify and map the distribution of water vole colonies and identify those potentially at greatest risk of extinction...
- Wild boar SASA sightings record
Sightings of wild boar/feral pig in Scotland have been uploaded on behalf of Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture (SASA), a Division of the Scottish Government Agriculture, Food and Rural Communities Directorate.
- Wild boar culled on the National Forest Estate Scotland in 2015-16
Records of wild boar/feral pig culled on Forest Enterprise Scotland (FES) land in Scotland during 2015-16 have been uploaded on behalf of Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS), a non-ministerial government department responsible for managing the National Forest Estate through FES.
- Wild boar sightings held by Andy Riches
Sightings of wild boar/feral pig in Scotland have been uploaded on behalf of Andy Riches, Mammal Recorder for Dumfries & Galloway. The records are from throughout mainland Scotland.
Metadata last updated on 2017-03-27 13:34:15.0
Great Glen House, Leachkin Road